Saturday, September 13, 2014
Memory and Money
I am currently living at home with my mother, which has been a big change from being away at college for four years. Usually it's me who has time to go to the grocery store to buy the groceries, and my mother and I have agreed that she will reimburse me for the groceries. Even though we made this agreement together, it is always me that remembers that she owes me money for groceries. My memory of this agreement is much more immediate than hers, as she remembers when I remind her, but otherwise wouldn't independently remember to put money in my account. In thinking about it, I'm sure that if the roles were reversed, I would probably forget to give her money but she would remember I owed her. I don't believe we have learned any specific theories as to why this memory discrepancy between my mother and I had occurred. My hypothesis is that while the event is a LTM to the both of us, it is a positive memory for me (I get money back) whereas it is a negative memory for my mother (she gives me money). In this way, I have much more to gain by remembering the deal and am more likely to remind myself about it than my mother.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Thanks for sharing this experience Maggie.
ReplyDeleteIt is a very good example of how our memory works.
We can explain this specific example referring to different theories.
A first reading is that you are the one that is more "active" on the grocery task - so you probably process the event more deeply. You also have more clues (more spread activation) since every time you have to pay, or planning to pay something you will very likely remember what you paid for grocery. Motivation is also related to memory - and since you are managing the finance for grocery I may guess your motivation to remember these financial aspects is stronger in you.
Your reading is also interesting and possibly true. This specific memory brings a positive reinforcement to you - while is not as positive for your mother.
So what you wrote is a good example of how we can link two topics - memory and operant conditioning. It may be interesting trying to positively reinforce your mother when she gives you the money back. Do you remember behavior modification? It is know to be a very powerful technique to improve any relationship...